Thursday, March 01, 2007

7 Habits of HIghly Effective People

You know, it's amazing how at different times in our lives, things can have profoundly different effects.

A few years ago, I read Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People. At the time, I thought it was great, got alot out of it, put it on the shelf and basically forgot all about it. I'm sure there was something of value I took from it but had you asked me to name it, I wouldn't have been able too.

A couple of months ago, as I was wondering through Barnes and Noble ready to make yet another massive contribution to their bottom line, I saw the audio course, unabridged, of the 7 Habits. I decided to pick it up and I actually took the time to plug into it. I listened to this course during long drives, at home and all over the place. I found the information so insightful, so incredible that listening to the course almost became an addiction. Not only did I find the information inspiring, but I began to actually apply the understanding to my daily way of being and the effect has been profound. A few of my friends have noticed a new calmness, a new sense of purpose and peace that has been a result of really grasping the concepts Stephen has shared throughout the book.

For whatever reason, my experience with this course this time around has been phenomenal. I really understand the concept of focusing on the circle of influence rather than the circle of concern. It's helped me to release stress and I find myself no longer being overwhelmed by the "big of little things". More than that, I gained so many new perspectives of the "why" behind people's actions...or rather, a release of my judgement of the "why". I learned to honor people's paths, to allow them their experience of life while simply being a participant in their growth. The effect this book has had on my personally, my business and my results has been exceptional.

It was great exploring the book in the book club as well. Listening to other people's perspectives and applications of the information is an exceptional way to learn and to grow.

So, I definetely recommend to pick up the book or the audio course. This new experience of the material inspired me so much I bought a few copies and sent them to a few of my closests friends, so they could have an incredible experience as well.

1 comment:

  1. What an endorsement! I am now sitting here with my old copy of "The 7 Habits" sitting in front of me. I read it about 15 years ago and also bought it on cassette tapes (anyone remember those?). At the time, I was at first very interested in the book, but my interest waned as I went through it and I never finished it. Same thing with the tapes.

    Now I am going to read/listen through it again to see if it strikes more of a chord with me.
    Maybe I will bring in to Cancun for some light (?) pool side reading.

    ReplyDelete