Friday, June 20, 2008

Duh??? The Power of Decision Making

I had a fantastic weekend. I hosted a conference here in Los Angeles and it was a blast. Attendees came in from all over the US, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the crowd was energetic, enthusiastic and committed to getting results...the perfect mix for a presenter. Two days of incredible information...John was amazing from stage, as were Gene and Shane - our other speakers. I'll pat myself on the back too as it was the best I had ever done and I felt so at homne on the stage. The feedback we've gotten has been amazing; people implementing the strategies we gave them and getting immediate results! Thank you to everyone who was there...you made the event great for me too!

Which brings me to the topic. I spent the day with my friends from New Zealand; Delwyn & Cliff McKenzie. We went to Rodeo Drive where Delwyn got herself a nice new Prada bag and wallet and a bracelet from Tiffany's. To think that a few months ago she was a struggling dairy farmer and now she's dropping a few grand for "accessories"...God Bless Network Marketing! (If you're reading this and want to know how she did it, contact me immediately...I taught her and I'll teach you too: (800)615-2278)

So, after our shopping spree we went over the Santa Monica Pier. If you haven't been it's a blast! What a great way to spend a Monday. While everyone is watching the clock at their jobs, we were playing games, enjoying the beach and the company. Again...God Bless Network Marketing. In what other business would I have associates and friends all the way in New Zealand? So, we love games and decided we were going to play some of the games...hoops, ring toss, etc. which brought us to the Dart/Balloon Game. Throw the darts, pop the balloons, win a prize. So, we threw down $40.00 for a bunch of darts and began throwing. Cliff hit 3, Delwyn hit 2 and I hit 2. Delwyn spotted a pink teddy bear she wanted it was 5 hits. We figured, "OK...we have 7 total, what can we get for that?" That's where the "Duh????" comes in.

The game operator, a rather slow and dense twenty-something was completely dumbfounded. Like a deer in headlights. "Combine them...I don't know if you can do that" he said. So we pointed out a little by-line on the rules sign that stated "Operator has final judgement" and let him know he has the power to make the decision.

"Uh...I don't know, I don't want to get in trouble" he says.

"Trouble?" I reply, "What's the worst that can happen...you give us a $3.00 bear instead of a $2.00 bear? Hey if they fired you they'd be doing you a favor!"

That made him go completely blank. "I don't know...I better go ask". At which point he leaves the game and wanders off looking for someone who CAN make a decision.

It was a classic example of why some people fail and others win. This kid, even when told it was OK to make a decision, was so engrossed in fear that the thought of making the decision actually stupified him. Or maybe he was stupified and that's why he couldn't make such a basic decision as to what prize to give.

I can only imagine the hell the actual game owner goes through if his employees are so limited even in this capacity.

So...we ended our day with a 5 point prize (the pink teddy bear) and I got a little bear too, just to remind me that the ability to make decisions is what separates the successful from the masses. Napolean Hill was right! (Read Think & Grow Rich)

No comments:

Post a Comment