Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ride on!


"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There is nothing like learning something new...starting out from scratch and then moving confidently through to mastery.

There's the fear, anxiety, confusion and then it all just seems to start making sense until the moment when you realize "I got it"!

I love to learn new things. Snowboarding, internet marketing, writing, speaking, skydiving and now motorcycle riding.

I had so much fun taking the Rider's Edge course at the Glendale Harley-Davidson dealership. John and I first walked into the dealership a few weeks ago to "check it out" and I instantly fell in love. All the leather, chrome, clothing, earrings, boots and POWER!

We signed up for the course on the spot and even signed up a friend. For weeks we waiting in eager anticipating, visiting the dealership every couple of days to hone in on the bikes we want to get. We've made friends with many experienced riders and are so excited about this new adventure in life.

The course was awesome! I learned the basics of safety and then went out on the bike. We learned on little Beull Blasts. Fun bikes with a little bit of umph. Mastering the clutch, brake, throttle combination was the most challenging for me since I've never driving a stick shift vehicle.

After half-a-day of perpetual stalling, I finally mastered it and was sooooooo proud of my new ability to gooooooooo with out sputtering to a stop. Once I got it up to 25 mph and did my turns, I was totally on fire! It's is an exhillerating experience.

Watching John master the bike was equally rewarding. He had the biggest smile on his face. As a couple, we got to experience a whole new adventure together...supporting each other, laughing with each other and amusing the class with our fun-loving antics.

Many times in life, we can have a tendency to be very introverted...festering on what someone has said, or what we haven't done or have to do or all the other things we can get fixated on. Snowboarding and motorcycles have been the two activities I have found to be very meditative and extroverting. It's just me and the experience, totally focusing on the road ahead, with not a care in the world. The brain stops putting around with useless worries and just gives it's attention to the road and the plan of action. Reaction speed is optimal, energy is high and it's total peace and enthusiasm.

It's the most rewarding experience. So, whatever you might have an interest in...go do it. Yes...you will make an ass of yourself at some point. But once you're through that point and gave a little giggle about it, you'll feel amazingly accomplished with your new skills and abilities and the new conversations you get to have with people.

I've had so many friends all around me who are Harley riders and I didn't even know it! I know have a whole new bonding experience and a new community of common experience and interest that is expanding my horizons!

And, for all those who tell you to "be careful", "that's too dangerous", "I would never do that!"...just remember, you are in control. When I first started telling people I was going to ride motorcycles, you wouldn't believe the number of "death and drudgery" stories people were telling me. And...this was coming from all people who weren't bike riders. They are fearful and want to slap their fear all over me! Empty warnings coming from fearful people.

So, remember: The only thing that makes a motorcycle dangerous is the person on it. The only thing that makes a snowboard dangerous is the person on it. The bike or snowboard can't hurt you. You have the innate ability to learn anything and to master it given time and effort.

Here's a great statement from Albert Einstein...copy it and remember it.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

No comments:

Post a Comment