Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Value of Real Education

When I was a high school teacher, the most frustrating part about my job was that most of the students didn't learn and what I was teaching them wasn't relevent. There was an antiquated curriculum that poured forth facts upon facts so the kids could "score" on a "standardized" test, yet none of the the information was relevent to being successful, thriving in our modern day world or the evolution of global commerce.

I remember being chastized by the administration because I gave the kids "open-book" tests. The test was comprised of 4 - 6 questions and would require the kids to apply the information they learned, think out problems and identify solutions. I was told to do "multiple choice" because it would prepare the kids better for the exams.

What about preparing them for life? I don't know about you, but I graduated high school without knowing how to purchase a home, open a checking account, manage my finances, plan for retirement, start a business, write a good resume, communicate effectively, set goals or achieve goals. The only thing I was told in high school was to go to college.

Then, in college, it was more of the same. My education was already out-dated by time I graduated and I was then told to go on to get a masters. Still not knowing how to buy a home, start a business, set a goal, achieve a goal, manage my finances, plan for the future, etc.

So, when I recently came across a college that provides actual relevent, applicable education to students, I was in awe. More than that, each step of the way, kids are given internships to apply the information to real world businesses to see an actual results. The students are only moved on when they have achieved 100% proficiency in application and feel confident in their own knowingness and success.

That college is Hubbard College of Administration. I never thought I'd be going back to school, but as a business owner (and very successful entrepreneur) I immediately recognized the value of their education to massive expansion of my own business. Imagine...a real technology that works. I visited several companies applying their business technology and their success was all I needed to witness. More than their success...their employees were thriving and happy, everyone knew their role, they all tracked their own statistics and performance and developed individual strategies for improvement. They were well-oiled machines expanding rapidly each and every year!

Check out this article by one of the their students. It's impressive:

April 14, 2009

A Hubbard College Interview: A Personal Look At Career Education
This blog starts the beginning of a series of blogs I’ll be doing which will offer any blog follower a better insight into different Hubbard College of Administration (HCA) students and their career education paths. In my first blog post I gave a little bit of information about myself– now you can learn about some others and see the veritable melting pot we have here.

Today I sat down in Interview Room #300 with Franco Chaves, a 21-year-old student attending the Hubbard College and talked a bit about his life goals and experience at the HCA so far.

Me: First off, where are you originally from?
Franco: Lima, Peru.

Me: And how did you hear about the Hubbard College?
Franco: I heard about the Hubbard College through a high school tutor who used the study technology that is used here at the college. One day she brought me here on a tour and then bang, I was interested. When I finished school and started considering college, my first choice was here.

Me: What program are you on currently?
Franco: Well, I first started on an Administrative Management Program. When I finished it I decided to do the degree program. So now I’m on the degree program getting my Associates.

Me: Did you attend the Sales Workshop here April 4th and what did you think about it?
Franco: Yes, I’ve gone to four of them now! I like that there’s practice of the techniques of how to sell! I also like that I could talk to the seminar speaker and he helped me with the application of the techniques.

Me: What in particular has made your Hubbard College career education stand out from the rest of the career colleges and business schools out there?
Franco: Because of the apprenticeships here- I can practice what I learn and I meet different business people at the same time.

Me: Have You Planned out how you’re going to find a job after finishing your program?
Franco: I will be working with the job placement service here at HCA. I’m not worried. Also I’ve made many friends here from different places: Los Angeles, Lebanon, Japan, Russia, Columbia, Cuba, and many other countries. I’m sure I will keep in touch with them throughout my career. You never know…

Me: Is there something that stands out in your experience here so far that you would like to mention?
Franco: Yeah, being sent to different apprenticeships gave me a real good understanding of how companies work and how the structure works. This helps because it gives me ideas of how I can use the structures and plans they use in my own company.

Me: What are your immediate plans after you get your Associate Degree here?
Franco: My plans are to become an American Citizen, work, save up more money and eventually go back to Peru and open a business consultant company.

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for putting my blog on your website! Your comment on my blog was left on a different blog though, check on that if you don't mind.
    -Cassidy Turbin
    turbinstudios@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way i check out your website! Its incredible what you've done for all those poeple!

    ReplyDelete