Monday, July 23, 2007

Cutting Off Your Customers

Wow, Donald Trump had on his blog this morning an article about Sprint/Nextel cutting off customers who were a nuisance...people who called customer service over and over with complaints.

Check out the blog post here:http://www.trumpuniversity.com/blog/index.cfm?blogpost_id=1212&commentmadep=true

What a bold approach and article! In my business, I choose who I work with and have often times turned customers and clients away. Why? Because I know the amount of effort it will take to "deal" with them is not worth the profit I might make. In addition, as you say Mr. Trump, some people will never be happy. I'm sure Sprint/Nextel wasn't the only company they were burdening. If we looked into it, I'm sure we would find a pattern. The source is their own internal lack of joy, purpose or accomplishment. Sometimes, it's simply an over-extended sense of self-entitlement. And sometimes, its greed...people will want "freebies" or refunds and expect to get them many times over simply by complaining.

I've watched this in restaurants. People complain about the silliest things with their meals to get a discount, a free drink or a free meal. My rule is if I don't like it, I'll pay for it and order another. Free food reminds me of the days when I lived in my car!

Anyways, it's a never ending battle and Sprint is right to turn them away. If the people would put forth so much energy towards something constructive, they'd create a life they enjoy, get some gratitude and wouldn't waste their life away complaining.

However, this does not give companies the right to not perform as they have agreed to or to produce as promised within their contractual agreements. Customer service is still a major factor in any companies success, but at the end of the day, if you discover there is no way you're going to make them happy in the first place, dump them.

No comments:

Post a Comment