Saturday, July 28, 2007

Times have CERTAINLY changed

OK...so I'm not one to follow politics. When I go to a party and someone's talking politics, I dodge the conversation or change it.

In fact...I avoid politics at all costs.

The last time I voted, it was for Al Gore simply beccause I didn't want Bush in office...well, we all know how well that worked.

This year, I've been watching. Not the traditional political debates or the CNN commentaries, or the TV commercials candidates spend billions on (when they would be creating jobs, feeding the poor or investing in research of alternative energy sources)...no rather, I've been watching You Tube and a hilarious show a friend of mine turned me on to, the Daily Show.


I'm not a fan of TV but the Daily Show is just tooooo funny!

Have you seen the political videos on You Tube? They are absolutely HILARIOUS! But, beyond the humor, they've done something remarkable: I actually know the names of the presidential candidates. Yes...I know the names of all of them. That in itself is a miracle.

So, here I am. I'm educated, successful, opinionated and....I don't even take part in the evolution of the future of the US???? Why???? One conclusion: I feel it's hopeless and I have no part. I put my effort and attention forth to things I know I can directly impact and see a result from. Or, maybe it's because I'm just too comfortable enjoying life in America as I know it.

Well congratulations to whatever BRILLIANT masterminds are behind the Daily Show and YouTube...through humor, you got me. You got me interested in the future of the country, in what is going on, in what I can do about it, in who's doing what (if I can even sort through most of the BS that's just fear driven, vote-for-me because I'm better nonsense). Come on...can we get someone in office who really cares for someone besides himself/herself? Can we get a Congress that actually shows up and does something? That would be nice.

So, while the videos aren't all that classy, nor do they let in on anything the candidates stand for, they do serve a purpose of bringing forth awareness and curiosity about the election. This is a whole new way of doing things...times certainly have changed.

When I was in New Zealand, I found this billboard on a bridge absolutely hilarious. We pulled over to get a picture. Here I am all the way across the world and other countries are making fun of our president. In Australia, people hate him...that's practically all people wanted to talk about. In my opinion, that is not a way to build world relations.


Here's a couple of vidoes for you to enjoy! They keep cracking me up.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:45 AM

    Interesting.... you say that "I still can't figure out how a bumbling alcoholic dimwit ended up as the president of our country" and "Here I am all the way across the world and other countries are making fun of our president. In Australia, people hate him...that's practically all people wanted to talk about. In my opinion, that is not a way to build world relations". ...and... "The last time I voted, it was for Al Gore simply because I didn't want Bush in office...well, we all know how well that worked". It seems like your mind was already made up. It seems that bashing the President of our United States of America has morphed into the "in" thing to do. I suppose you are right. Look at all these other countries you're referring to --- they're real winners every last one of them. (Look at their political structure and the ones they have in "office"...) Do you not realize that in every presidential election in America someone wins and someone loses? Once someone is declared the President by vote I believe we as Americans have a duty to support them. I'm not talking about doing so as blind robots, I'm talking about via the vote process and supporting the candidates you choose. If you aren't happy with the outcome then vote them out the next time (not just voting 6 1/2 years ago as you pointed out --- where were you when the last election happened with Kerry?). Instead you say "...I don't even take part in the evolution of the future of the US???? Why???? One conclusion: I feel it's hopeless and I have no part". Nothing like a healthy dose of Pessimism.... If it isn't exactly how you want it when the race is over, out comes the "bashing". Come on, some maturity would be helpful here. Oh, by the way, I as well am not thrilled with many of the things that this administration has dumped on us... but isn't it interesting how it is this Country of ours that people are trying to "join" each year, more than any other country out there. Why do you think that is... it's because if we get someone in the White House that is doing a poor job for us and the rest of the American people we have a process to get them out -- the vote. Cuba, for example, does not have a choice. They get their dictator for life. Which is a better process? But, then again, it's a lot easier for everyone to laugh and not take this seriously. I mean, if this whole America thing doesn't work for you, you can always pack up your (American) things along with your (American) money (thanks to America) and move to ... New Zealand ... or perhaps ... Australia. (oh by the way... I understand you'll be editing this all out anyway. Thanks, Wes in Oregon~)

    ReplyDelete