Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Harder I Work, The Luckier I Get

The Harder I Work, The Luckier I Get
by Donald J. Trump
"Diligence is the mother of good luck." - Benjamin Franklin

I've always been big on quotes, whether they're mine or someone else's, because very often they distill ideas down to their essence. What Ben Franklin said many years ago could have been said today, because it's relevant and right on. We've all heard about doing our "due diligence," which is another way of being thorough. It's also the first step to bringing yourself some good luck. What Gary Player, the great golfer, said "The harder I work, the luckier I get" (the title of this essay), remains solid nutshell advice that can apply to everyone.

I am currently building a Trump International Hotel & Tower in Las Vegas. This mixed-use concept of hotel and condominiums has been a huge success, starting with the first one I did in New York City in the late 1990's. I knew Las Vegas was a hot market, but the tower was sold out before it was even built. I could have said, "wow, that's great," and left it at that. But in looking at the situation, I decided that the indications were there to move further ahead in a good market by building another 1200-unit tower. This took some time and effort, but it was approved and we are building it. That part really isn't luck. That's due diligence. So when people ask me "How can you do so much?" I have an example to give them of how.

You can apply that to your own life, career and business as well. Look into the future a bit. Take the time to move yourself forward. If the indications are there, put in the extra effort to make something good even better, or bigger, or both. That's thinking big, and I'm no stranger to that concept and you shouldn't be either. I've had enough success to know that it works.

Get the rest of this article at: http://donaldtrump.trumpuniversity.com/default.asp?item=202503

No comments:

Post a Comment