Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Converted....Finally!

For years, I've head true to Microsoft, buying PC after PC. Admittedly, I loved some of the functionality of Windows.

Just about every year I purchased a new Laptop or PC, upgrading to whatever was new and exciting form Microsoft.

And then came Vista. It looked so cool in all the pre-launch info. I eagerly anticipated it and shortly after it came out, I ran to BestBuy and purchased a new fully loaded HP Vista machine. Top of the Line of course!

And then my love affair with Microsoft ended. Problem after Problem. Hours of upgrades, lost network connections, confusing changes. I dreaded sitting in front of my computer, dreaded the HP Updates, Microsoft Updates, never ending Norton updates. It seemed my computer wanted to spend more time with itself than it did with me!

To top it all off, I had to go spend another $1000.00 to buy the new versions of many of the programs I was currently using b/c, of course, they weren't Vista compatible. Even some of my peripherals had to go!

Not that I don't like spending money, but a new pair of shoes, or a Prada bag would be much preferred over the latest editions of Adobe and Microsoft Office.

All the while my friends and business partners taunted me with tales of fun and ease, they snuggled with their MAC's, telling me how easy they were to use.

NO! I said, PC's are so much more advanced! There's so much more capability! There's so much...pain and agony!

Sometimes I feel like I need a PhD in computer tech to run the damn thing. Even more often, I feel like taking a baseball bat to my computer and just sending it back to Microsoft with a letter that says "User friendly my ass!"

Maybe I'm some kind of computer sado-masachist. Who knows. But after a week in the Bahamas, and my futile attempts to use GotoMyPC, have my Sony Microsoft Laptop function correctly and connect to the web right and returning to no less than 3 hours of mandatory updates needed to keep my machine functioning right, I hopped in my Bentley and John and I eagerly walked into the Apple Store.

We saw the genius at the door and when he asked if he could help us, we explained how frustrated we were with our Vista machines.

"I hear that often" he said.

"Show me what you've got", I said.

As he showed me the functionality of the MAC I was in awe. Could it really be this easy? I watched some of the kids on the little kid machines they had set up and there were 3 year-olds navigating and using the machine with ease.

Try that with a Vista machine. Crash and burn baby!

Was I willing to spend the time learning a new system? You bet...anything but torture myself any longer with Vista. What was Microsoft thinking? Sure, I'm not a big corporation spending millions on computers, but I spend about $10,000 a year on equipment and new machines. And...it totally wasn't worth it. Networking on Vista is like trying to pull your own teeth...lost connections and slow connections, security flaws...

I bought the New MacBook Pro to get started, and when I got home and opened the box it took me about 5 minutes to set up. Yep! 5 minutes.

"No updates?" I thought. And..where are all the little stickers all over the laptop telling me about every manufacturer of every part of the system. I had my little razor blade and Goo Gone ready to go...but no! Mac doesn't torture you with that.

I was able to use the computer right out of the box...and transferring my files, a piece of cake.

I had a question...get this. I called the Apple store, and they answered it...FOR FREE! No hours on hold, no providing a hundred different serial numbers, no forwarding and then getting disconnected, no trying to hear through the heavy Indian accent to get an answer. What typically would take me over an hour to accomplish with Microsoft, took me 3 minutes with Apple.

And this week, I've been loving my computer. John has been drooling on the machine...he doth covet my MAC.

Looks like we'll be heading back to the MAC store for him as well.

And, what am I doing with all the free time I've acquired in my life since I no longer have to re-boot or wait patiently for updates?

Have fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon - very funny and familiar story. After my Sony Vista finally quit on me earlier this year, I bought a MacBook and LOVE IT!!!!! Rock on!!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:55 AM

    Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac. What took ya?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. vista Sure does have its times.


    I still love my PC though.

    maybe one day Mac will find me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:30 PM

    There is no doubt. MAC's rule!! I have both as my business uses applications that will only go on a mac. But for ease of use, reliability and pleasure of use you just can not go past the MAC.

    ReplyDelete